The term “BIS” in BIS License stands for Bis License for India. It’s an Indian national certification body that works under the guidance of Indian ministry of Consumer Protection, Food and Public Distribution. To those in the know, they call this organization the Indian Standard Institute, often abbreviated to ISI.
Being the largest certification body in India, and that too run by the government, the Bureau of Indian Standards has been instrumental in creating standardized guidelines to create better quality of products. The BIS License number is one of many certifications that this organization is responsible for.
So, what is BIS License? In simple terms, it’s a certification that proves that as a manufacturer, your product lives up to all the points prescribed by the BIS. In this article, we are going to dive a bit deeper into this license and will learn about:
- Products that are cover under the BIS License
- Is the certification mandatory
- Is the certification valid for eternity?
- How to obtain this certificate?
- How can BIS consultants can help you in this regard?
Products that are covered under the BIS License?
With each passing day, the government of India is adding more and more products under the BIS License details. The product groups consist of construction products, materials, household products, office and consumer electronics, dairy products and raw materials. Soon, it’s expected that every product that Indian citizens use would come under the jurisdiction of Bureau of Indian Standards.
Is BIS certification mandatory for every product?
The Bureau of Indian standards have put BIS product certification rules in place since 2013. The goal of this certification aspect is to guarantee the product’s safety, quality and reliability for the consumers.
As per these rules, there are three types of certifications under the CRS or Compulsory registration scheme.
- Voluntary BIS certification: Products that aren’t required to have any BIS license status but their manufacturers can voluntarily come forward to get BIS certified.
- Mandatory certification with no factory inspection: There are products that while come under certification on a mandatory basis, don’t require inspection of their manufacturing facility.
- Mandatory certification with factory inspection: Most products coming under mandatory BIS certification require inspection of the manufacturing facility at which they are manufactured.
There are many benefits to pay BIS license fees for voluntarily getting your product certified. One of them is access to special government tenders. We will discuss about this aspect more in further blogs.
Is the certification valid for eternity?
One of the points that manufactures are often mistaken about is the validity period of a certifications. Most believe that once they acquire the certificate, their obligations are complete. But that’s not the case. BIS certificate is only valid for a certain period of time. Afterwards, you’re required to pay the BIS license cost for bis license renewal.
How to obtain BIS certification?
There are only four (conditionally 5) basic steps in the BIS certification process:
- Application filing
- Testing of product
- Inspection of manufacturing facility (for mandatory certification with inspection)
- Certification of the product
- Marking on the product
You can check out the more in-depth process of the same at our BIS under CRS page.
How our BIS license consultants can help you obtain the license?
When it comes to obtaining BIS license, the four steps are hardly enough. It’s after you file your application form that you realize the number or additional requirements that the BIS will throw at your way. Thus, it’s prudent to prepare ahead of time. Our BIS license consultants ensure that your application reaches the department on time; the inspection happens as per your requirement and you’re ready with all the corrections in case additional demands are made.