Usually, reducing the size of Office 365 with backup and another reason requires users to export Office 365 mailbox to PST. An excellent way to perform this task is to use the Microsoft 365 Compliance Centre (eDiscovery tool) and a professional third-party tool to export the O365 mailbox to PST.
The purpose of exporting Office 365 mailboxes into PST
To verify the availability of offline mail for:
- Business resilience of breakdowns/failures.
- For a legal critique of particular mail content
- For concession and regulatory essentials
This guide will learn how to export mailboxes from Office 365 to PST using the native in-place Office 365 eDiscovery tool as a workaround. I have also defined a professional third-party tool by Shoviv Software to export the O365 mailbox to PST.
Exporting Office 365 mailboxes using the eDiscovery method:
Since this method is a workaround, then it should be associated with in-place eDiscovery to Export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Log in to your Office 365 account and go with the following steps:
- In a logged-in Office 365 account, go to the Admin center.
- Now, Expand Admin centers and click Security.
Its time to be an eDiscovery Manager Role Group member:
In this step, add you to the eDiscovery Manager Role group as a new member to apply the eDiscovery features.
- Go to the eDiscovery Manager Role Group details window.
- Add your account to an eDiscovery Administrator list by clicking on the Edit button and following a simple creator.
eDiscovery Manager Role Group includes – Case Management, Compliance Search, RMS Decrypt, Review, Export, Hold, and Preview. Sometimes, the export role gets failure. Click on the Edit Role Group button to make sure to add it.
- In your Security & Compliance Centre, go to Search >> Content Search.
- In the next window, click New Search and choose the specific locations option, then click Modify.
- Here, select Exchange email or choose specific mailboxes from selected users, groups’ option.
- You can add filter options (keywords, to/from/subject, message type, and more) by simply checking on the linked options and clicking on the Add button.
- On the details page, enter a name and valid description of the search process. Click on the Save button.
- The search process will run in the background window. Go back to the Content search page and tap on Refresh to get your created search.
- In the Mailbox PST Backup window, click on more and Export results.
- In this wizard, select the desired options, then tap on the Export button.
- The exporting will initiate. You can check the process in the Export tab too. Wait till done the process.
- In this step, download the export results and click on the export key to copy them into the next step.
Open eDiscovery tool:
- Once open the e-Discovery Export Tool with the Scripts outlet. Now time to paste the above-copied export result key in the tool. Set the location to store the resultant PST file and click Start.
- The eDiscovery tool will run the procedure Export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Once completed, click the Finish button to close it.
Weaknesses of eDiscovery (Content search) method:
Exporting Office 365 Mailboxes to PST via eDiscovery Might Be OK For many users, but they must face difficulties with its long progress. eDiscovery export creates duplicates, lost items, PST file may get corrupted, Export takes too lengthy, and the process is problematic and puzzling. Also, administrators have humble expertise in using Office 365 and eDiscovery progress to Export O365 mailbox to PST. As the process is quite complex, Some error causes massive data loss. Do not be upset with these drawbacks and restrictions. This guide also features a professional third-party tool to export Office 365 mailbox to PST hassle-free.
Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager Tool:
This tool Exchange Recovery comes with an innovative way to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST. The tool is a master solution for Exchange on-premises and Exchange online tasks. It has simple geographic user interface enhancements and many user-focused functions for everyone to use. The professional solution also enables restoring PST files to the desired target—Outlook PST, Exchange Server, Office 365, and the Outlook Profile Store.
Features and functionalities of Shoviv’s tool:
1) Allows Multiple Mailboxes Office 365
This tool allows you to add any number of Office 365 mailboxes to export them in to PST format without taking much time.
2) Split Functionality for the resultant PST
Being a professional tool, it includes a split option. You can set the size of the resulting large PST files to several smaller files accordingly.
3) Provides a Preview of source items
It enables you to preview source mailbox items to ensure that they can be processed.
4) Search and Filter Items Option
- Search item option – The item Search option helps to search a specific item of source mailboxes based on subject, to, cc, bcc, from, item type, attachment name, read/unread message, etc. You also can include & exclude the source mailbox items to search.
- Filter items option: The Filter option for Source Items is a powerful option to include and exclude items and filter by Date Range and Message Class to process with specific items.
5) Incremental Export Feature:
It is a robust feature in this tool. Also, There is no need to worry about the interruption in the process. You should check on this option, and this tool will resume the interrupted process and prevent duplication in the process.
Office 365 is prominent among business users as it offers a slew of evolved features for everyday work. The content search process is complicated to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST. Shoviv software is an ideal solution for advanced technology and user-centric features. The above features are just a glimpse of this professional tool. You can download and try a simulator version to measure all functionalities of this tool to export the O365 mailbox to PST before investing.